Factors to Consider When Choosing Glass Shower Doors
In many bathrooms, the shower is the centerpiece, where a hot shower helps you get ready for the day or unwind and relax after a long day. One way to enhance your space and increase relaxation is to install a new glass shower enclosure.
Shower enclosures offer a unique way to add light and create a sense of openness to a bathroom. Choosing the right glass shower enclosure, however, may require you to consider a few things.
The following are factors to consider when choosing a shower enclosure.
Prioritize your budget, as it helps you limit your spending. The good news is that many companies offer estimates. A technician or estimator may have to measure your bathroom and assess your specifications before you can get a quote.
Also, most companies that offer glass doors offer a variety of prices. Regardless of your budget, you can rest assured you’ll find an excellent option.
The Type of Door
Shower doors come in a variety of styles. The following are a few of the most common:
- Hinged door: The doors come with small hinges that allow them to open by swinging in one direction like regular doors. The option to swing inward may be available. The hinges are usually on the sides of the glass panels.
- Pivot door: A pivot shower door is a swinging door that has a pivot hinge, allowing the door to open completely inward or outward. You can attach the pivot hinge on one side of the door or on the center to create a revolving shower door.
- Sliding door: A sliding glass shower door consists of two panels that slide back and forth along a track. When opening and closing the door, both panels can bypass one another.
As you add the door, consider your style preferences and your bathroom layout.
The Door Hardware
A shower door’s hardware can be as unique as its enclosure. You can choose from brass, bronze, nickel, chrome, or a variety of other finishes for the hardware pieces.
Using the existing fixtures in the bathroom that you don’t plan to change as a guide can help you narrow down your options. You may also consider the décor of the bathroom to help you create a unified look.
The Type of Glass
For your shower door, you can choose from many different types of glass. The most common option is a clear glass door. By providing an unobstructed view, clear glass can make the bathroom appear larger. The door is also very easy to clean and maintain.
Other options include:
- Low-Iron glass is clearer with fewer green tints than clear glass.
- Frosted glass, which creates the illusion of permanent steam in the shower area, provides privacy.
- Tinted glass can achieve different levels of privacy based on the darkness of the tint.
- Textured glass is available in different styles. The glass has special indentations that offer decorative and privacy benefits.
Your choice will depend on whether you want absolute clarity through the shower walls at all times or if you want some privacy.
The Frame Design
Glass shower doors come in two designs: framed and frameless.
Framed doors typically have a metal frame to support the glass panel. The frame traps and collects water, which helps reduce leaks. Even so, framed doors can accumulate soap scum more quickly than frameless options.
A frameless door has a stylish contemporary design, with hardware that mounts through the glass. In addition to being much easier to clean than framed doors, the doors create a feeling of spaciousness. However, having no frame can make them susceptible to leaking water.
The right glass shower door can enhance and amplify the appeal of any bathroom. Therefore, in order to find the seamless shower door that suits your needs and your space, make sure to browse all the available options.
Contact us today if you need installation of glass shower doors and enclosures in your new home or remodeling project.