Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, What’s the Greatest Gift of All?What do you get that special person in your life who has just about everything they need – and is seriously into decor? Before you buy something your super-stylish friend may already have, take a look at these custom-cut mirror ideas and the ways you can give the gift of glass.
Why Give a Mirror?
A painting, a sculpture, a pretty piece of pottery – are these all gifts you’ve given your high-style decor-loving friend? While artwork and similar objects are obvious ideas, a mirror is something that your loved one might not even realize they need. Instead of a purely functional piece of glass (such as a stock bathroom vanity or back-of-the-door mirror), you can create an eclectic, contemporary, or elaborately artsy look with a custom-cut hanging mirror. Like the paintings and photos your friend might hang on their walls, a mirror creation can add to the overall home decor.
What Type of Mirror Should You Give?
After you decide to gift your favorite friend or loved one with a mirror, the next step is to choose a custom-cut piece of glass. To choose the best mirror, think about the recipient and their own personal style. Their preferences will help you to select the best gift possible.
If you’re not sure where to start, consider:
- The shape. Unlike stock mirrors, custom-cut glass creations aren’t only available in traditional or standard shapes. You can design a circle, oval, triangle, octagon, star, diamond, or other shape that fits the gift recipient’s style.
- The size. Does your friend or loved one adore oversized dramatic decor? Design a mirror that goes from floor to ceiling. But if the recipient prefers smallersized accents, create a petite piece of shaped glass.
- The frame. The gift doesn’t have to end at the edge of the glass. Add a frame to the mirror to create a designer look that matches your friend or family member’s personal style preferences.
If you won’t frame the mirror, select an edge that also makes a stylistic statement. A beveled edge is polished into an angle. This added option has a special flair that creates a clean, contemporary aesthetic.
Who Should Create the Mirror?
Do you have design ideas but not the industry-related knowledge, skill set, or experience to create this gift? While you could buy a decorative mirror online or from a big box store, these glass options may not make the special statement you want. Instead, to create the best quality custom mirror:
- Use a professional. Hire a glass and mirror contractor to design and create this gift. Choose a contractor with expertise and experience in decorative or art-like mirror work.
- Clearly communicate your ideas. You know your friend or loved one better than the mirror contractor. This means you may have ideas the designer wouldn’t think of.Discuss your design goals with the professional. They can help you to understand the realities of glasswork.
- Create a time frame. Designing and completing a custom mirror project takes time. Don’t wait for the last minute or expect the contractor to finish the gift on a tight schedule. Start this project months in advance, and discuss the time line with the contractor.
The gift doesn’t need to end after the contractor cuts the mirror or frames it. Hire the professional to install the gift for your friend. While an installation service is an added bonus your friend or family member might not expect, leave the specifics to the recipient. Offer to pay for the service – but let your loved one choose the installation date and place they’ll hang your gift.
Do you need a custom-cut mirror? Contact Central Glass Company for more information.